"Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 25 Sep 2005 at 12:55, John Forbes wrote:
>
>> What was that old saying about a bad workman?
>
>...ALWAYS blames his tools.
>
>However it would be foolish not to appreciate that good tools in the hands of
>skilled workman generally lead to higher productivity and quality of output.
>IOW No one can do a good mortise job with a blunt/inferior chisel or shoot
>past
>a full camera buffer. :-)

Quite true. But there is a difference between using good tools and
insisting only upon the best tools. A good craftsman doesn't need the
absolute finest tools to do great work, he just needs tools that are up
to the task. And the inferior workman always seems to overestimate what
tools really *are* needed ;-)

One of the reasons I like doing the occasional motorsports shoot is to
prove (to myself as much as anyone else) what can be done with my gear.
I'm sure I'd have a blast with a 1D-II and 600/4 but I got plenty of
publishable photos with my ist-D, FA*80-200 and Sigma 300/2.8
Learning the limitations of your tools and devising ways to deal with
these limitations is a worthwhile exercise for anyone, IMHO.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing