On 26 Sep 2005 at 0:48, mike wilson wrote:

> Rob Studdert wrote:
>
> > On 25 Sep 2005 at 22:44, mike wilson wrote:
> >

> >>The grain is the photograph.  Therefore, anything that improves the
> >>grain image improves the picture quality.
> >

> > Only if you wish to purposefully reproduce the grain by digital means.
>
> Until you can, the digital output is not a faithful reproduction.

But film grain is for most part considered an unwanted side effect of the photo-
chemical technology, it certainly only adds to the value of an image in limited
circumstances. I guess it's just difficult to appreciate the problems that
scans that resolve grain can cause until it's your problem :-)

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998