On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:03:57AM +0100, Cotty wrote:

> Yes but I don't understand - why continue to try and get the best out of
> a smaller sensor? Surely the aspiration of all SLR camera makers who have
> ventured into digital, is to produce a DSLR that captures the full 35mm
> frame? Anything else is surely too complicated for most people to
> understand WRT smaller chips mean that lenses don't work quite the same
> way as before etc etc. Or is the 1.5 crop here to stay forever, as a sort
> of 'new format' along with a smattering of 'D' lenses?

The 1.5 crop is here to stay.  Most of the people now buying DSLRs have
never owned a 35mm film camera in their lives, so they have no "before"
experience to confuse them.

But, basically, it's simple economics.  You can get a film SLR for $200
or so; at present a DSLR costs around $500 more than that.  Most of that
difference is the cost of the sensor.  And a so-called 'full frame' sensor
is always going to cost three or four times as much as a sensor half that
size (at least until sensor prices drop down to under $50).  That extra
$1000-$1500 just isn't worth it to the majority of prospective purchasers.

Perhaps when DSLRs are down to around $300 there might be enough people
prepared to pay $450.  Even there, though, I'm not sure; are there enough
benefits from going to the larger sensor?  For wide angle, 12mm should be
enough for almost everybody - I've certainly managed for 35 years without
using anything wider than 20mm on a 35mm body.  And while larger pixels
do allow for better signal-to-noise ratios, that's an area where I expect
technology to continue to improve over the short-to-medium term.