Just a minor correction - the big 1 player is releasing new stuff
often.  Frankly, Nikon has a huge hole in their lineup along with
Pentax and are taking just as long to fill it.  That is the spot that
the D100 holds.  The D70 is more a bottom end camera, especially with
that horrid viewfinder.  The D100 came out before the *istD, and Nikon
just doesn't have any replacement until the D200 is available for
sale.  It has been quite a long time.  Yes, they have the D2x, but if
you have priced one, you would easily see that there is a big hole
around the Canon 20D level that no one else has filled.  I think this
is mainly due to everyone but Canon relying on an outside source for
sensors.  I know that Nikon has a D2hxxxx type body, but it is really
designed for a specific use - still not like the 20D.

The crux of the problem here is sensor suppliers.  Pentax is moving
just as fast to release the *istD successor as Nikon is to releasing
the D200 - both are waiting on the sensor.  Until then, all either can
do is make another variation of the 6mp Sony sensor.  Pentax has the
*istD, DS, DL, DS2 and Nikon has the D100, D70, D70S and D50 - amazing
how they basically match model for model.

I would really have to say, that everyone but Canon is slow to market.

--
Best regards,
Bruce