On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 04:30:21PM +0200, Juan Buhler wrote:
> I picked up my MX last night. I heven't used that camera in over a
> year. The size of the viewfinder and its brightness, compared to the
> istD, makes me want to cry.
>
> I know the istD viewfinder is not too bad, by current standards. But
> what would it take for a not full frame camera like the istD to have a
> similar viewfinder, in brightness and magnification?

Err - it does.

According to Boz's equipment page, both have 0.95x magnification
with a 50mm lens mounted.

I've just put an F50/1.7 on my *ist-D, and an A50/1.7 on my MX.
Looking through the viewfinders, magnification and brightness
looks as close to identical as I can measure with the naked eye.
Sure, the image area in the MX viewfinder covers a larger angle
than what I see through the *ist-D; that's because of the crop
due to the smaller sensor.  And in any case you won't find any
AF Camera with as large a viewfinder image as you get in the MX;
there has to be somewhere to display the additional information.

So why does everyone say the MX (or ME Super, or ...) have much
brighter viewfinders than the *ist-D?  Is it because people are
comparing an MX with an f1.4 lens to a *ist-D with an f4 zoom?