Tom Rittenhouse wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago there was some discussion here about
> how the camera manufactures are calibrating their meter to
> 13% rather than 18%. Someone commented that Kodak is now
> suggesting that you open up a 1/3 to 1/2 when using a gray
> card to set exposure.
>
> WHAT!!!!
>
> 18% gray was chosen because the real world approximates
> that. If you average the exposure for all outdoor scenes it
> comes out to 18% reflectivity. So if the meters are
> calibrated to 13% you will always get the wrong exposure.

Well, Tom, considering that Kodak practically invented film,
and is the largest manufacturer of film in the world, and also
markets grey cards, one might give a little credence to
Kodak's assertion.

Of course, since most people only use the meter in their
camera, they have no idea what they're metering. Most people
don't even know the pattern of their camera's meter. Go out
and get a Kodak grey card.  Put it in a scene and meter from
it, and only it.  Follow Kodak's instructions.  Bracket your
exposures in 1/3 stop increments, and, upon processing the
film, see what the correct exposure is.  You may be surprised
at the results.  Oh, one other thing - be sure your meter's
properly calibrated.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]