> fra: Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> DagT wrote:
>
> > Of course, we don´t hear ultrasound, but some animals do.
>
> So, if you try to shoot them with a Canon, they'll run away???

Yes, but it depends on the frequency.  Dogs hear ultrasonic sounds far beyond
our senses.

> Is there really anything ultrasonic about it, by the way?

Yes.  I read the main patent once.  The motor is a ring of piezoelectric (?)
material which is is set in a wave movement at an ultra sonic frequency.  This
wave movement pushes the focus mechanism.

> > Toralf was thinking about whether they were harmful.  I wouldn´t
> > worry too much there, but...
>
> Actually, I was mainly trying to be sarcastic - although I do know that
> some now claim that the ultrasound used for medical purposes may
> actually be quite harmful.

I know, they are limiting the use on unborn babies in Norway now.

> I just think it's weird, and slightly annoying, how some people here
> seem to be obsessed with this ultrasonic thing. Don't get me wrong, if
> you think that Pentax ought to make quieter (or faster) AF, then I
> follow you, although it doesn't really matter a lot to me - but implying
> that Pentax makes inferior cameras because they don't call their AF
> system "ultrasonic"...

I agree, as long as the AF works good enough I dont care how.

> BTW, hasn't Pentax made the AF quiet*er*? I haven't really taken much
> notice... But I think it would be in their tradition to just release
> something a lot better in that respect as just the next generation of
> their system and a result of continual improvement, rather than a new
> "feature" they make a lot of fuzz about. And I prefer the Pentax way,
> there...

Same here.  Personally I dont care much about AF at all. It nevere focusses on
what I want anyway .-)

DagT