On Oct 5, 2005, at 9:58 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v408/divad_b/? action=view&current=Hailey_BW.jpg

I know nothing about these things, but the conversion looks okay to
me.  Maybe it could use a bit more punch...

I think i submitted the colour version last week.

Ya i was thinking it lacked somewere.Could use some "punch" i suppose.
Now were did i put Godfreys email.:-)

Nice photo!

You have the B&W conversion basically there but it needs some 'dodging and burning' to make it crisp. On my screen, most highlights are right on, but shadow values are going murky and the overall feeling is that it's too dark matted against a white surround. Part of the reason for the murky display is that it lacks an ICC profile and doesn't display well as an sRGB image without some way for the system to make the display conversion.

I brought it into Photoshop and did a little "opening up" of shadow values (Curves adjustment layer with selective masking brushed in) and then put it on a white surround and adjusted the overall curve just a little to accommodate the light surround. I embedded the sRGB profile too.

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/Hailey_BW-g.jpg

Godfrey