I don't think street photography does require you to provide intimacy. If it
requires anything, it is that you treat the subject appropriately, and this
is true for all photography.

There are several ways you can convey the feeling that someone is alone in a
large space. Consider, for example, the common type of shot which shows
someone alone in a big landscape, such as a mountain range. Often the person
is standing isolated on a ridge, relatively small in the frame, while the
rest of the frame is filled with the landscape, and no other people, which
highlights the person's isolation. Their particular pose & body language
helps to show whether they are lonely or noble or inspired or whatever. This
type of shot is usually done with a long lens. There's no reason why you
can't apply the same principles to somebody in a cityscape.

Another approach to the same subject is to get very close to them and use a
wide-angle lens. In this situation the person is very large relative to the
frame, but the lens also sucks in the size of the landscape, showing their
isolation. Again, there's no reason why you shouldn't use the same
technique, depending on what you want to convey, and how confident you are
about getting close to that person.

--
Cheers,
 Bob