Hi Bruce ....

I'd like very much to give you a few "atta-boys" for this little gallery,
but I can't.

The "street" is a dynamic, vibrant, organic place, teeming with activity
and life, filled with joy and sorrow and humor and relationships.  There
are connections between people, between people and objects, between
circumstances - some swift and ephemeral, others slower, longer lasting,
and, perhaps deeper.  I think "street photography" is about showing those
connections, those relationships, and telling stories. Showing something of
the joy and sorrow and excitement and tension that exists out there.

While I have been characterized as a "street photographer" (regardless of
how true that may be) I have never understood what such photography was all
about - at least for me - until this evening when I looked at your small
gallery.

Bruce, it pains me to say this, in part because I like you so well
personally, in part because a lot of your work is great and touches me
deeply, but I must be honest.  These photos pretty well miss the boat as
far as I'm concerned.  There's no life in them (with the possible exception
of the MLK memorial shot), no vibrancy.  I don't feel connections or
relationships.  Composition in some cases is poor, but it's often hard to
find good composition "on the street" as there's so much going on.  You've
got to shoot fast, and learn to see almost intuitively, being able to see
everything in the frame in a fraction of a second, or being able to assess
a situation and know when to make, or not make, an exposure.

I want to thank you for putting these pix up.  From a purely personal and
selfish standpoint they have helped me define and understand some of my own
work a lot better.  Perhaps we can get together in San Francisco or
Oakland, and spend a day together making some photos on the streets.

Kind regards,

Shel