Tom C wrote:

> I agree creating hundreds of rating and buyers would be time consuming.
> Creating 10 or 20 to get started wouldn't be hard.  How does e-bay verify
> anything?  I respectfully disagree, in part.  I think it would be very easy
> to create a fradulent trail, but possibly difficult to keep that trail going
> if you were a con-artist... but easy to start a new trail all over again.
>
> I'm not trying to discourage anyone from using e-bay.  It is an excellent
> source of gear.  Common sense with an extra dose of common sense piled on
> top is needed.
>
> Tom C.
>
> From: Paul Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: Used gear
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:46:41 -0400
>
> Ebay ratings tell you how many ratings the seller or buyer has and from how
> many different sellers and buyers they came. It would be very difficult to
> create several hundred ratings from several hundred unique buyers. In part,
> because you can also trace the ratings of the sellers and buyers who are
> cited. The system allows for multiple levels of  tracking and verification.
> It would be extremely difficult if not impossible to create a fraudulent
> trail.
> On Oct 18, 2005, at 10:16 PM, Tom C wrote:
>
> >I may be asking this out of total ignorance Paul, I hope not.  As far as
> >reliability of ratings goes, what makes them reliable?
> >
> >What's to stop me from conducting a series of BIN auctions on e-bay and
> >having my wife create multiple e-bay accounts with different e-mail
> >addresses from multiple locations, and then having her make the 'purchase'
> >and leave positive feedback?  Little I suspect.
> >
> >The one time I got ripped on the guitar, the seller had a rating of over
> >99.5% with 1000's of transactions. I am inclined to believe that the vast
> >majority of transactions go smoothly, but a seller who decides to be
> >occasionally unscrupulous is easily able to hide the fact in the numbers.
> >The more successful transactions a seller may have, the easier it can get
> >to hide the stinkers.
> >
> >Tom C.
> >

> >From: Paul Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> >Subject: Re: Used gear
> >Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:19:04 -0400
> >
> >Fraudulent auctions aren't hard to spot, except for the fact that they're
> >very few in number.  Ebay seller ratings are reliable, and the site is
> >closely monitored. Have you used ebay extensively? I have. Without
> >problems. But each to his own. I just think it's a shame to skip what is
> >actually a valuable resource due to misinformation.
> >Paul

> >>I've seen way too many fraudulent auctions to agree with your nothing to
> >>fear statement.
> >>
> >>Tom Reese

Buying things on ebay can be scary, but so can
selling things there....
It is practically my only source of income these
days (aside from social security)
so I like to clue people in on how to find an
honest seller....

Don't just look at the NUMBERS!  Take the time to
read the feedback.  I would be wary
of buying from someone who had say 500 points and
had only been on ebay for 6 months.
that might smell fishy to me.

Don't buy things from people who skimp on
descriptions.  If they offer something you want
write them for more details, more pictures, etc...

read between the lines of the feedback. Sad to say
some buyers skimp on praise and
some think A+++++ is a wonderful thing to say.
what I want to read is "item as
described - fast shipping"

There is some protection from ebay as well.

Make sure they say up front what the shipping is,
btw.

I'd even ask someone who had bought something from
the seller recently if it is something you
really want... check out the feedback of the
BUYERS who give the Seller a good rating, too.

I don't sell things that are very expensive and
rarely have any problems with buyers -
I'm happy to say I have lots of good feed back
(99.9) over 7 years almost.

So don't dismiss it out of hand.

annsan