afaik, the pledge is being recited not by grown up adults, but kids,
who are usually very easily pressured into conformity with "majority".
i seriously doubt that a 8 years old can possibly meaningfully excercise
his "right to not participate it" when everybody else in his class does.

saying "no one is forcing them" it is hypocrisy. kinda like nobody was forcing
kids in ussr to join pioneer and komsomol organizations. whoever is
claiming that
is full of shit.

best,
mishka