My experience is quite different.  In Peru, for example, I - and numerous
other motorists - were pulled over for "routine" checks, where police or
soldiers with military rifles stood guard around the vehicle while an
officer checked papers.  This happened three times on a two day drive down
the Pan American Highway from Lima to Tacna and twice on the way back, via
Cuzco.  Chile wasn't much different.  In Panama - especially Panama City -
after the fall of Noriega (just to put it in perspective) armed military
patrolled the streets.

I - and no one I know - has ever just been pulled over and questioned by
the police here in the US for no reason.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen,
but I've travelled through 37 of the United States and have never
encountered what you claim is normal. Well, there are sometimes sobriety
checkpoints around California during major holidays when drunk driving
incidents are usually high, and I'm all for that.  The one time i got
caught up in one of those checkpoints the police were very nice - all they
were looking for was open bottles of booze, whether the driver had been
drinking, and whether or not the occupants were wearing seat belts.  Never
even asked to see a drivers license. Is that an invasion of privacy?  Is
that a police state?

I suppose had the officer asked to see the photos I could have declined,
but he didn't.  I volunteered to show him a few pix because I knew it would
make my life - and his - simpler and easier.  It was clear he didn't want
to make a big deal out of this incident.  Am I a wuss for "giving up my
rights" so willingly, or am I clever guy for making sure that my day went
smoothly and that I now have a cop on my side.

I'm also willing to bet that some of the people who are the most vociferous
about wanting to protest and demonstrate to the police that they know their
rights, have never been cuffed and tossed into the back of a patrol car,
had a nervous cop stick a service revolver into your face, or spent time in
jail.  Those are very sobering experiences and I can assure you that if
such things have ever happened to you, you might decide to choose your
battles with greater care.

Shel