Frantisek didn't like what I wrote and responded:

> TR> Riding a bicycle isn't a privilege, walking isn't a privilege,
skateboarding
> TR> isn't a privilege and neither is any other method of transport. Buying
into
> TR> that requires buying into the idea that freedom is something that the
> TR> government can mete out as it sees fit.
>
> I think _that_ is a bunch of crap. Typically American way of petrol
> drinking thinking.

That's the way the free market works. If I can afford the gasoline then I
take a ride. If I can't then I stay home. I resent the fact that the
government says it's a privilege that they allow me to drive my car. It
implies that they can take away that privilege at anytime. I say that I'm
free to drive my car unless I act in such a way that I endanger others.

> I get rash all over when I hear that.

Wow. You're easy. I bet if I tried I could get you itching like a man on a
fuzzy tree.

> Driving is
> not a freedom because it infringes on others' freedom so much more
> than walking. I have never heard that walking or bicycling damages the
> environment that much, has people tortured in Nigeria or their rights
trampled
> everywhere else.
> It is commonly said that my freedom ends where your
> begins. Figure in the externalities (vis an economic dictionary), and
> perhaps you see that driving a car has so much external costs that it
> must be regulated.

I vehemently disagree. Would you have us apply for a permit before we drive
where we specify our destination and which route we'll take? I don't
infringe on anyones rights by driving my car. I'll base my trips on the
price of fuel. That's how the free market works.

Tom Reese