PDML,

  I was off-line for a while, but I'm back, with a query:

I'm planning a last minute trip to Kenya and Tanzania, (I found a KLM seat sale from Toronto to Nairobi, for 1300$CDN taxes in) and was wondering if any of you have good advice both on the subject of things to do, and how best to get around, as well as on photographic techniques/equipment.

We're leaving in a week, for 3 or 4 weeks, and I'm most interested in seeing and photographing wildlife, and doing a bit of treking, possibly diving in Zanzibar. It'll probably be into the small rains when we get there, and we're looking into a safari of some sort in either or both of the Rift Valley + Masai Mara (Kenya) or Ngorongoro Gorge + Serengeti NP (Tanzania). (this looks like a good toor company: http://www.intoafrica.co.uk/comexpken.htm ) I have a friend who's travelling seperately, and is looking to climb kilimanjaro while we're down there, so that 's also an option. I want to pack as light as possible, since I'll be carrying everything on my back.

My equipment: ist DS, 1G SD card, FA35/2, A50/2, DA18-55 kit lens, Tamron 70-300/5.6-6.3, a decent tripod, a couple smallish camera bags.

I need: spare batteries, charger, 1 or 2 spare 1G SD cards. something to store more pictures on (iPod, portable HD)?

My wish list: a bigger camera bag, a wide lens (DA16-45, DA14), a faster long lens ( would the DA 50-200 be long enough? ), a monopod (instead of the tripod)? The 16-45+50-200 would be a decent minimalist kit, covering most of what I'd need, but not giving me much in terms of lower-light ability. I don't think I can afford or carry anything like a pentax or sigma 200/2.8 or 300/2.8.

I'd like to spend as much of my money as possible doing things, rather than buying gear, but I don't want to be kicking myself because I'm missing something critical.

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

JP