Bollocks. I do most of my pics hand-held and very
few are fuzzy. When they are, I usually thought at the
time I should be using a tripod, but didn't have it
with me because it is rather ungainly. Actually a vast
proportion of shots where I thought I should use a
tripod came out completely non-fuzzy.
  Try bending a tripod down to get a flower picture,
which you are shooting at 1/500th anyway. Try telling
me that photo needs a tripod. 90% of the time I shoot
at at least 1/125th. I have been told you can
generally handhold down to 1/60th, and I have had many
sucesses below this. So stuff it in your pipe and
smoke it.

Jody.