Depends on the camera, but most mechanical cameras allow this.  I don't do
it though because you don't know what shutter speed you are using - going
between 1/60 and 1/125 you might get 1/75, 1/90, 1/115 - you don't know,
and it's hard to line it up at the same place again.  Of course these
mechanical shutters aren't perfect either, as it will fire at a slightly
different speed everytime at the same setting, but that's more consistant.
Electronic shutters are only stepless in automatic, but are have less
variation in manual because they are electronically timed.

BTW, the ZX-M's shutter speed dial is not stepless, you only get full stops
except you can select 1/100, even if you aren't using a flash.

Todd