P. J. Alling wrote:

The probably have the parts on hand and assemble them as needed.

Since labor is a large part of a product's cost, especially something as precise as a multi-element lens assembly, that makes total sense. Making and storing all the individual parts, post manufacture and inspection, is a small task, all things considered.

Now, whether they actually *DO* it that way, who knows.  ;-)

BTW. what DO 15mms cost these days?

keith

Tom Reese wrote:

I still don't know about this. In my mind, these lenses have too many custom
parts for them to bother making a single lens. The lens barrels, the
focusing helixes, the diaphragm mechanisms etc have to be different. I can't
see Pentax going to their supplier and ordering one of each to build a
single A 15mm lens. I can see them producing a batch of fifty or so but I
don't think they'd bother for an older model that has been replaced in the
lineup.

Like I said, it's an interesting idea.

The ain't shutting down no line to make your A15, Tom. They put them
together in a little job shop in the basement <grin>. In fact I would
not be suprised to find out that they grind the lens elements on a
numerically contolled grinder and polish them by hand. They probably
haven't made enough 15mm's since 1975 to keep a serious production line
busy for one day.