Dust usually gets into the mirror box when you change the lens, from there it finds it's way to the sensor when an exposure its made. The camera is only as well sealed as the lens, (no matter who makes the camera).
Markus Maurer wrote:

Hi William and Shel

Does every digital SLR need that sensor cleaning or are there better dust
sealed bodies and are the Pentax ones better or worse in this regard than
other brands?
For me as a film user, that "cleaning sensor thing" seems to be necessary
quite often, Shel's camera is nearly new.
I seldom clean my film bodies, I just have a look at the film pressure plate
when I change film if it is clean.
greetings
Markus

Time to clean the sensor in the DS ... locked up the mirror and saw the
sensor thingy.  It looks like there's a plastic layer over the actual
pixel

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).