Although the *ist D is the first 'undedicated' digital camera I have it is not the first digital device with CCD sensors, or the first fussy optical device I've needed to clean. The work I do is fussy and dust blobs not only mess up the interpretation of photomicrographs they are terribly annoying as well.

I've tried all kind of cleaning methods. Methanol on Ross tissue. Brushes cleaned and prepared in different ways. Now I use 'Blue Tack'. Not only on sensors, but on microscope objectives, camera lenses, eyepieces and other optical components. Although Blue Tack *must* leave something behind after it is peeled off, this trace amount of plasticizer, or solvent, or whatever, is invisible, undetectable and does not effect the optical properties in any way. In my laboratory, in days of yore, we used collodion. A solution (in chloroform) was poured over the surface of the (very expensive) lens or flat and when it had dried was peeled off leaving a pristine surface. There are very expensive lens cleaning solutions available now that are used the same way. However, I clean microscope objectives that cost thousands of dollars with blue tack without the slightest qualm.

Cut a piece a little larger than the sensor, press it firmly to the surface making sure it makes contact everywhere. Then get hold of one end (I use forceps) and peel it off. The surface of the window will be as clean as you'll ever get it considering where it is inside the camera. I use the stuff over and over again keeping it in a dust free flat screw top container. I cleaned a lens five inches in diameter the other day. For economical reasons did it in sections. I used a piece of blue tack about an inch square and moved it about. To clean a very tiny lens -- 2mm or less in diameter (the end of a microscope objective) I make a sharp point and press in firmly again the mount including the metal.

If this worries you, or if the 'blue tack' you have is suspect, get hold of a dusty lens that doesn't matter too much and try it. Do it a dozen times with the same piece of 'tack' and you'll see how effective this method can be. You can find Blue Tack at Glubie Glue in Indiana -- I think.

Don

P. J. Alling wrote:
As long as you don't have any particularly recalcitrant dust it should be sufficient.

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

Time to clean the sensor in the DS ... locked up the mirror and saw the
sensor thingy. It looks like there's a plastic layer over the actual pixel
things.  Correct?  Is that particularly delicate or is it for protection,
and, therefore, of a durable nature?

I was thinking of using a blower brush with the brush bristles removed. Is
that OK?  Any other suggestions?

Shel

--
Dr E D F Williams