----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Tainter"
Subject: With a fluttering heart...

I placed my bid and just won an F* 600 F4:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=7556939330

I never thought I'd own one. Wow. But my heart really is doing a pitter-patter at spending so much. Right now, fortuitously, I have the money, but still feel nervous spending so much.

Okay, now I need recommendations for a tripod and head for Big Bertha. Bill, what did you wind up getting? Please recommend some affordable ones as well as the best ones. Right now I am feeling in economizing mode. I think the lens is about 15 pounds.

Nice score Joe!!!!
I have the A600/5.6, which is heavy enough, but nowhere near that.
I have a Zone VI standard wood tripod that I put a Wimberly gimball onto.
I'm pretty happy with it, though I had some balancing problems (not the head's fault, the lens' tripod mount isn't well placed). Ken is using a King Cobra head over a set of Gitzo carbon fibre legs, and that looks like a sweet set-up also.
Probably about half the weight of my wood tripod too.
Definitely get a set of legs that tends to dampen vibration. Both wood and carbon fibre do this.
Yer basic aluminium Manfrotto legs don't.

I don't think it is wise to economize when you get into needing this level of rig support. The stuff is expensive, and needed.

William Robb