The easiest method is to simply use PhotoShop's Grayscale conversion, then go to curves and adjust the various grayscale tones as necessary. The grayscale curve gives you pretty much unlimited and very precise control of the tonal range.
Paul
On Oct 30, 2005, at 10:45 PM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

There seems to be something very wrong with the process as you've described
it.

Apart from anything else, when setting the lightness to minus 100, you'll
get a black screen - no info.  Care to double check the steps and the
process?

BTW, I agree with everything that Godfrey said ...

Shel
"You meet the nicest people with a Pentax"

[Original Message]
From: P. J. Alling

Unless there's something horribly wrong with an image I don't "use"
layers.  In photoshop I convert to b&w by first optimizing  the color
image as much as I can.  Then I use this method.

1. Create a new adjustment layer "Hue/Saturation"
2a. Set Hue to -180
2b. Set Saturation to +100
2c. Set Lightness to -100
3. Change Mode to Lab Color, (if asked, yes do discard the layer).
4. In channels delete layer a.
5 Convert to gray scale.

Adjust curves or brightness/contrast for fine adjustments.

This is the easiest method I've found, (thank Cotty, for posting it here
a while ago). that gives very good results.