Hi Peter,

This little discussion has motivated me to look into the different shooting
modes offered by the istDS - the one's indicated by the happy face, the
mountain, the torso, and so on, and see just what differences they provide.
Frankly, I've never used them,  and from what I've read in the manual,
there's nothing they offer other than providing shutter speeds and
apertures that are "appropriate" for different situations.  Nothing that
can't be controlled better by the photographer.

I noticed at DPReview that quite a few cameras - even some with
"professional" aspirations - have at least some  shooting modes.  It's nice
to know that the istD doesn't have the "happy face syndrome" (insert smiley
happy face here <LOL>)

Shel
"You meet the nicest people with a Pentax"

FFM's.