On 11/1/05, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Not long ago an acquaintance came to visit. We were talking about
> photography and cameras, and ended up using one of my cameras to photograph
> one another.  I got a few nice shots of her, and showed her one, which she
> didn't like.  She specifically asked - in fact told me on no uncertain
> terms - that the pic not be shown to anyone, be posted on the internet,
> etc.
>
> Am I obligated not to show anyone the other pics?  What about the one she
> saw and didn't want me to show?

Pardon me for saying so, but it kind of sounds like you're asking for
an excuse to do the opposite of what your acquaintance wants you to
do. You're certainly under no obligation to do what she wants,
however, it would be disrespectful not to follow her wishes in that
regard. It's up to you and only you, whether or not you want to be
considerate.

As for the other pics, if they are similar to the one she didn't like
(i.e. if you take duplicate shots in order to bracket exposure, or
ensure she doesn't have her eyes closed), I would err on the safe side
and assume she doesn't want you to publish any of them. Again, you're
under no obligation to follow her orders.

I think people who don't want a perfectly good photo (assuming fully
clothed, not picking her nose, etc) to be "shown" are just a bit silly
in this day and age. But that's only my opinion. Certainly I've had a
friend tell me not to show a photo that made her butt look big, and
I've respected that even though it looks the same in the photo as it
does in real life and if she doesn't want people to see it she should
stay home.

-- skye