FWIW the 600 FA has a rotating tripod collar.

Kenneth Waller

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: Re: Tripod Head for Big Bertha

Note that the King Cobra mounts on the side of the lens.  I don't know how big
an issue that is with the lens you bought but it might be huge.  This is an
excerpt from an article I found on Luminous Landscape:

<Begin quote> The Wimberley has, to my knowledge, only one significant
competitor, the Kirk King Cobra. I have no experience with this mount, so I
can't comment on it other than to note that unlike the Wimberley it suspends
the lens from the side, rather than the Wimberley design which allows the lens
to sit on a platform. This made it unsuitable for my purposes, because the
Pentax 600 doesn't have a rotating tripod collar. Any lens without such a
rotating mount will similarly not work with the Kirk. At $440 the Kirk is
somewhat less expensive than the Wimberley. This price includes the quick
release.  <end quote>

you can find the complete article here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/wimberley.shtml

I hope this helps.

TR

> The King Cobra is made by Kirk Enterprises:
>
> http://www.kirkphoto.com/cobra.html
>
> TR
>

> > Question for Club600:
> >
> > I can't find King Cobra at either B&H or Adorama. At B&H this is the
> > least expensive Wimberly I find:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/bbksb
> >
> > Will this do the job? The other two models that B&H lists seem only to
> > have quick release, which this model lacks. Is there any reason to want
> > quick release on a lens like this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joe

PeoplePC Online