Joseph Tainter wrote:

> Okay, then I will need a quick release. What's to choose between:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/blkm7
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ayoew

The two B&H images show the old and the (not-yet-out apparently) new
Wimberley head. I suspect the clamp is the same for both, and it's a
good one, IMO. It's got channels in the bed so that the safety stops
on either end of the QR plate can slide almost all the way to the
middle of the clamp. This helps a lot with fore-and-aft balance.

I'd heard that Really Right Stuff was working on such a clamp, with
the added benefit of lever-action quick release. If your QR plate has
safety stops on both ends, as Wimberley's do, you have to open the clamp
all the way and drop the lens foot in, and then tighten it down. (You
can't slide it in from the end.) The lever release would make this
quicker and safer.

HTH,
Stephen Moore