On 9 Nov 2005 at 9:15, Peter Fairweather wrote:

> I tend to make long exposures in RAW and sort in out in Photoshop. How
> does the LX cope with reciprocity failure? I've often wondered whether
> there is a digital sensor equivalent

I believe that the LX is one of the best ever low light cameras, the pity is of
course that it doesn't have a pixel array.  The LX seems to get the exposure
pretty much in the ball park during long exposures as other have indicated.

Reciprocity failure can be a pain to manage and should be more so if you are
using auto exposure with off the film metering as in the LX. The subject
colour, the scene illuminants and the surface colour of the film all effect
exposure times,  however after much testing over many years I simply learned to
trust the camera and bracket when it all looked too hard, I made a lot of great
exposures that way. :-)

I think that without special equipment (cryo-cooling systems etc) sensor noise
tends to start to swamp the wanted signal in digital sensors, film is still
much better at longer exposures, it has pretty low self noise :-)

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998