Hi!

This is a better subject for the soft focus effect than the previous
one.  This effect doesn't seem to be nearly the same as a true soft
focus lens - more like an old Kenko filter I had that was a curved
glass with a center hole cut out.  I am seeing a much more distinct
edge in sort of an oval shape around the subject.  To really make it
for me, I would have like to see a smoother, gradual transition.

So for me, pretty good, but not great.

Bruce, this is not "proper soft lens" like in Pentax F 85/2.8 soft, no... You're quite right... It has different effect.

Given the chance I am going to try/buy Cokin A-system soft filters and try them with my lenses...

I cannot say that I am mad about soft effect, but it has its seasons, if you will... These days we have a weather that reminds me of Indian Summer - warm, but not hot, rather nice light, lots of yellow (as much as we can get in this evergreen land)... This is the time when I feel this undeniable urge to go out and take the soft lens with me ;-).

Boris