Peter,

Listers are going to be "all over" your question with, in all
likelihood, clearer answers than mine, but I'll offer one.
The 35mm lens provides an image circle designed to cover the 35mm frame
size (24x36mm).
At this point, all *ist D sensors (and those of most other makers) are
smaller than 35mm, thus reducing the angle of view and cropping the
center out of the image. The going conversion factor is 'prox 1.5%.
IOW, your 28mm x 1.5%= 40mm.
Hope not too muddled.

Jack

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs