> The SMCP A70-210/4 Macro is excellent, although I found the lens a
> bit heavy/bulky for my uses. I have no experience with the Takumar
> alternative.

Same here, except for the "heavy/bulky" part -<g>.

I have heard/read that the Takumar, which is not SMC, suffers a bit from
flare and is a bit lower in contrast, but is actually a pretty good zoom
for the money (assuming that you get a good deal on one).  However, I don't
think that the A 70-210/4 costs quite as much as it used to, and sometimes
a good deal can be had on this quality zoom lens.

Fred