On 14 Nov 2005 at 16:30, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2005, at 4:57 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:
>
> > On 14 Nov 2005 at 12:36, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> >
> >> I do all the rotating, annotating, etc, in CS2's Bridge application.
> >> I often use iView to produce simple web pages and galleries, but
> >> Photoshop's web generation tools are equally facile.
> >
> > Grrr, even the Canon 300D images are auto-oriented in the Pentax
> > Photo Browser,
> > I wonder if Pentax will actually put an orientation sensor in the
> > next cameras,
> > or would it add too much extra cost :-(
>
> Really doesn't matter to me at all. 10D photos auto-orient too, but
> they're often wrong. If I set an orientation in review mode on the
> DS, they orient correctly in every file viewer application I've seen.

Well for those of us who don't re-orientate each image using the pre-view
screen of the camera (I don't even know if the *ist D works this way) or don't
wish to have to corral together vertical shots and do a batch rotate (I'm
talking thumbnails mainly) it's a right royal PITA. It's one of those no real
excuse omissions to my mind.

After recently reviewing 4500 trip shots where orientation was changed often I
really don't appreciate that they left it out (especially when the bottom
feeder cameras from other manufacturers and many P&S cameras do it). I'm also
having some difficulty trying to fathom how a gravity based sensor could lead
to incorrect orientation too, when would it be wrong?

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998