My partner is a system adminstrator for a major corporation in this area. The last shipment of fairly highly touted but "consumer grade" CRTs for his company proved to be a disaster: the monitors were so bad that he and the engineers who use them were experiencing headaches and seriously wondering if they needed new eyeglasses. They were bad enough that he went out and bought (out of his own pocket) a cheap, used 15" flat panel screen for his own use at the office so that he could work without a headache...

Six months later, the company acted on the many complaints and en masse replaced all the CRTs with LCD displays. Not a single complaint has surfaced since regarding monitor display quality.

I'd strongly recommend any current 15-17" flat panel display over any comparably priced CRT today. You get more viewable area, better stability, better color rendering, and the current generation of inexpensive CRTs have become garbage. You can buy high-quality, good condition, used 17" LCD flat panel displays for $300-500.

Godfrey