Here's Aaron's take on handheld MLU with a 6x7:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aaron Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Nov 21, 2005 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: Possibility of Medium Format enablement
To: frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: pentax-discuss@pdml.net

On Nov 21, 2005, at 4:55 PM, frank theriault wrote:

> On 11/21/05, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> How would you use MLU without a tripod?
>>

> Aaron Reynolds claimed to be able to do it - did it all the time (so
> he said).
>
> But he was the Senior Brother of the Brotherhood...  <LOL>
>
> Aaron?  Can you respond?  <g>

But of course!

Obviously I'm not hand-holding and using MLU for really long shutter
speeds, but I found that it was quite helpful to use MLU when shooting
at 1/30 hand-held.

Here's what I do:

Frame the shot in the viewfinder.
Breathe in.
Flip the MLU switch with my middle finger on my right hand.
Gently squeeze the shutter button with my trigger finger.  Those two
are together, sort of a gentle up-down motion.
Breathe out.

There are always doubters out there (in fact, I still encounter people
who tell me that they read on the internet that you can't hand-hold a
Pentax 67 and wonder why I'm so stupid as to be shooting with one
hand-held), so here's an image for you.  It's about 90% of the frame,
Ilford Delta 3200 developed in Agfa Studional.  Pentax 67, SMCP 75mm
f2.8 AL.  Hand-held, 1/30 f4, available light, using the mirror lockup
technique described above.  Scanned at 4000 dpi on a Polaroid
Sprintscan 120.

Link leads to a smaller version of the image.  Click on that to see it
at full size and judge sharpness for yourself.

http://aaronreynolds.ca/gallery/MLU-demo/bench_giant

I'm happy to answer further questions along these lines, and also to
sing the praises of the truly spectacular 75mm f2.8 and generally
enable those who need enablement, just CC your questions/responses to
me since I'm not subscribed to the list.

-Aaron

p.s. Frank, I'm cc'ing this to the list, but it may bounce because I'm
not subscribed -- can you forward it on for me if it does?  Thanks.