Rob Studdert wrote:

> Fair enough, I don't participate in club events because of such absolutism.
> It's all generally too staid for my liking, if any image doesn't fit very
> specific preconceived notions of composition, sharpness, contrast, focus
> point etc they don't get anywhere.

I like to put my best stuff up against other's best work and see how I do.
Judges are indeed a crapshoot. Sometimes they like my work and sometimes they
don't. It's still fun to see what they like and what they don't (even when it's
mine). I don't take any of it too seriously. Competing has motivated me to try
to shoot truly outstanding pictures and to become a student of art. My
photography has improved as a result.

> Unfortunately now regardless of the remoteness or perceived sanctity of the
> place is it possible to shoot without con-trails in the image.

Nature photography does indeed make you aware of how intrusive man has become
in the natural world.

Tom Reese