In a message dated 11/26/2005 5:28:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I think the term "objectifying women" has lost its literal meaning. In
our PC world it has come to mean depicting women in a way that is
blatantly sexual. However, that being said, I find that a difficult
line to draw. Human beings are inherently sexual. Its part of the
package. I don't know what turns an artful nude into a sex object.
Props? A smile? The display of specific areas of the body?
Paul
==========
To me the term means turning women into just body parts. That's the basic
feminist meaning. JUST body parts. No humanity, no individuality, no
personality,
no flaws, no reality, etc. Mainly to sell products. This is the way it used
when originally protested by women. Madison Avenue. Sexy women on leaning cars
in TV commercials to sell cars when actually the woman leaning on the car had
nothing to do with the car. So it's not done as much anymore. For instance, in
car commercials now, it's mainly the car -- how fast it can go, the safety
features, the lines, etc. I do remember the way it was before though.

So it doesn't mean just sexual, per se, although that is part of it. And men
can be objectified too, but it's not done as often. However, fashion magazines
still do it, for both genders. Yes, as a term, it also includes pornography.
But that is a whole other issue.

So basically it means turning a subject into an object. And with live
subjects, human beings, turning them into just parts, lesser than the whole.
Losing
their... what is listed above... humanity, personality, individuality, etc.,
and aliveness To be admired as just objects -- not admired for their
uniqueness,
but their commonality.

Oh, well, I knew when I said it that I would get some reactions. And yes, the
line is difficult to draw sometimes.

But I still felt a need to say it -- those part of my feminist stripes have
not changed, although I am on a list that is 95-99% male. However, if most of
the women on the list react similarly to a photograph that tells you something
right there.

Marnie aka Doe :-)