We did something like this one time at Shutterbug. We did an article in which we got some of the top photographers to agree to photograph differently than usual. For example, Pete Turner is famous for his wonderful color photography, so we had him shoot black and white. Jack Reznicki is famous for his photographs of children, so we had him photograph an elderly person. I don't remember now who else was in the article, but all of them got into the project enthusiastically and produced some very interesting photos. And they all said they learned from the experience.

When I taught photography for a while, I gave the students an assignment to photograph an egg. The idea was to do something personal and creative with such a common, featureless object. Some surprising images resulted, and also some incredibly uninspired ones as well. Some students just couldn't get their minds around this project at all.

Bob