As I just mentioned, I went to Kenya and Tanzania for a month...

The gear that I brought with me was:

Pentax *ist DS
2 1G SD cards
Many AA rechargeables, 2 sets of disposable CRV3s
A-50 f1.4
Tamron 70-300
18-55
30G iPod video

The iPod worked well enough, but it has 2 fatal flaws
1 - the battery is only good for writing about 800MB.. and that takes about 30 minutes. Still, with car and universal chargers, and 2 SD cards, I could shoot all day and transfer to the iPod at night. 2 - you have to transfer an entire roll of photos, then immediately delete them from the card. The iPod isn't smart enough to know that it is already storing a photo.

The damn thing scared the crap out of me on a few occaisions (when wall power was bad, temperature was high, or ?) by either crashing, claiming that _it_ held no photos, or claiming that the camera was empty. Resetting the iPod and/or allowing it to cool fixed the problem every time, but the first couple times this happened I was a little tense.

I was concerned that the camera's battery would be run down by transferring directly from the camera to the iPod, but with AA rechargables, it wasn't really an issue.

Would I recommend using an iPod for a similar trip? Maybe, but an external battery with a dock connector, camera connector or card reader would be preferable to the apple iPod Camera Connector.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9861G/A

JP