On Dec 6, 2005, at 7:08 AM, keith_w wrote:

I must interject here...to see if I have been misunderstanding a concept.

It has been my understanding that if you only open a jpeg for viewing and close it again, there will be NO degradation to the original image. That it's only manipulating a jpeg image and *then* saving it that creates small losses which accumulate and soon become noticeable.

IOW, don't manipulate a jpeg and you won't suffer image degradation.

True or not true?

True. Closing a JPEG does not alter it in any way. Saving it recompresses the data, with commensurate loss.

However, if you always save JPEGs at the highest quality (12 in Photoshop) the loss will be minimal. You can resave JPEGs saved at 12 several times before the loss becomes evident.

Bob