Too the best of my knowledge that is correct, Keith.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

keith_w wrote:

Paul Stenquist wrote:

When you open a jpeg, most of the information from the original tiff is restored along with all of the resolution. The 6.5mb jpeg will produce the same resolution as the 43 meg tiff. Some information will be lost. It will probably not be detectable to the human eye if the jpeg wasn't saved repeatedly.
Paul

I must interject here...to see if I have been misunderstanding a concept.

It has been my understanding that if you only open a jpeg for viewing and close it again, there will be NO degradation to the original image. That it's only manipulating a jpeg image and *then* saving it that creates small losses which accumulate and soon become noticeable.

IOW, don't manipulate a jpeg and you won't suffer image degradation.

True or not true?

Thanks,

keith whaley