From: Bob Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2005/12/07 Wed PM 01:10:03 GMT
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Sony's at it again.

On Dec 6, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

That's not a Sony thing. It's pretty standard for any electronics
company. Spares only to Authorized Service Centres. I certainly saw a
lot of that in my time as an Electronics Tech.
Not unheard of but hardly standard. When I was an electronics tech we
never had any trouble getting parts from companies whose products were
not an authorized service center. We were authorized for Sony, though...
I was a camera repairman in the 70s and 80s. As I understood it at the time, there was a law requiring manufacturers/distributors to sell parts to independent repair shops. I could get parts for anything so long as the manufacturer/distributor had them. I wonder if that has changed.

It probably made sense to limit supply to those who had an at least rudimentary
knowledge of what they were doing when TVs and radios had tubes and you could
create death very easily.  Today, you would have to try very hard to hurt
yourself with the electricity in household entertainment goods.  A pacemaker
might take exception.

mike

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software Visit www.ntlworld.com/security for more information