On Dec 10, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Rick Womer wrote:

The Xray machines used for carry-on baggage are not a
problem for ordinary photographic film (though
3200-speed film may be fogged after a few passes
through).

And even 3200 isn't fogged that easily. We had some put through seven times and processed it. There was a very minimal increase in base fog.

Still, if you want to try for hand inspections, buy a few rolls of 3200 film and mix in with your other film. Pointing it out will usually get you a hand check.

The Xray machines used for CHECKED baggage, though,
are death to photographic film.  Lead-lined bags are
useless against them.

Lead-lined bags are useless, period. If the machine operator can't see through a big blob they will just open your luggage and dump out the contents. They are actually the worst possible idea.

So, make sure you carry on your film!

Or, if you carry a lot of film, as I used to do before digital, ship it ahead to your hotel or a friend. I used to always do that when on assignment, shipping a few "bricks" of film ahead (and verifying its delivery). I then shipped the exposed film back to the lab in batches, and it was all processed and waiting for me on my return. The lab had instructions to check the film and contact me by telephone if they saw any problems. This saved my butt one time when a camera shutter died. It was firing and sounded normal, but it wasn't opening as the blades traveled, and all film shot with it was blank.

Bob