I guess I have not told the story of american beer in a while.

Back before WWII the factory guys used to stop in the bars afterwork for a few beers while waiting for the streetcar. Everyone remembers streetcars, right <grin>?

Then during WWII while the guys were all off getting their arse shot off, the girls took over the factory jobs. They figured they should get to drink a few beers just like the guys use to, only they did not actually like the taste of beer. Miller came up with the idea of making a beer that did not have that nasty beer taste for the girls to indulge in after work. Thus Miller High Life was born. The other breweries slowly followed suit, especially after they realized how much cheaper beer was to make when you cut it in half with water, and left out most of the expensive hops. The funny thing, to me, is that Miller's is still about the same as they made it back in WWII, but most of the others are even worse now.

99% of the time I drink imports. However, in this age of micro-breweries you can get decent american beer. Not all of the micro-brewed stuff is decent, not even most of it, but some definately is.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Don Williams wrote:

You can get decent beer in the US; Amstel and Carlsberg are available in New York and San Francisco -- and hundreds of other places I've never visited, I guess.

I once drank a bottle of Miller's in Ballston Lake, or Saratoga Springs I can't be sure. It was atrocious. Why is beer making so difficult? Or do they make it right and then bugger it up before bottling?

Don W

Paul Stenquist wrote:

Coors was very popular among east coast and midwest auto racers, particularly drag racers, during the sixties. It wasn't available east of the Rockies, so it was essentially an "import." In those days the fastest dragsters were all from California, and the California racers used empty Coors cans to cover their eight exhaust pipes went the car was shut off. Their eastern counterparts wanted everything the fast guys had of course, so getting a set of Coors cans was a major achievement. Some apparently took the leap of logic that if the cans were good for covering your pipes, the beer must be good for pouring down your personal pipe. So guys driving back from the west coast used to pack as much Coors as they could into their trucks. I guess for folks who grew up drinking Bud, Miller and Strohs, it probably tasted okay. Like most other beers, I would guess it's not the same brew today that it was forty years ago. I can't remember ever trying it.
Paul