David Oswald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm curious about your industrial night scenes.  What about them makes
> them nearly impossible with digital?  This is an honest question.  I've
> found digital's low-light capability to be better than the film I've
> used.

The problem is with the lights rather than the shadows. This one, for
instance:

http://www.photosight.ru/photo.php?photoid=1085361&ref=author

It takes medium format to deal with those buggers up on the masts. Even
35 mm analog produces hopelessly flared-out highlights with stars around
them which might be fun on an xmas card but are rather annoying in
anything else.

This here...

http://www.photosight.ru/photo.php?photoid=1145051&ref=author

...is on 35 mm and it already shows a lot of what I call the xmas card
effect around the lights.

Other than using elaborate DRI (and that still won't get rid of the
stars) there's only one way: the biggest neg format you can muster, at
least 645, and a modern colour negative film. Something like Portra or
Optima where you literally have to burn holes into the emulsion before
they'll top out in the highlights. Won't even work with slide film.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de