The PSCS RAW converter will extrapolate missing highlight information in one channel based on that in other channels, according to Adobe. Based on considerable personal experience, I can say that I've seen highlights "appear" when the exposure is dialed down in conversion that were at not apparent at first viewing. I also know I can pull up underexposed parts of a frame in RAW if I expose to save the highlights. In other words I can manipulate the exposure curve, post exposure.

I realize the stars are due to diffraction, but the poster (was it you?) also complained about flare with 35mm. I merely pointed out that flare is a function of lensing.
Paul