On 13 Dec 2005 at 0:22, Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:

> Rob Studdert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Or so I thought, as well. Have you ever tried it?  Once converted to
> linear, the residual distorsion of those lenses (usually wave-shaped)
> looks far worse than the fisheye image you started with and it's a lot
> more complicated to correct.

I convert fisheye images to rectilinear regularly and have done for many years,
at least 1/3 of the 4500+ images that I shot on my recent trip were shot using
my fisheye with a view to rectilinear remapping..

> The extremely softened edges you'll be getting aren't very esthetical,
> either.

There is very little visible degradation at the edges particularly given an APS
cropped original file. Generally the outcome is as good as or better than
dedicated WA lenses, as an example my A15/3.5 displays greater residual
geometric distortion than my corrected fisheye images (though I can also negate
the remnant distortion in the 15mm images using the same application).

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998