Hi,

I actually think it gies some extra depth to a picture when small river rocks are sharp. I howver liked the framing better of your first picture.

Cheers,

Ronald

David Mann wrote:

On Dec 13, 2005, at 6:56 AM, Bruce Dayton wrote:

What bothers me:
Just doesn't appear sharp - the walls look very detailed, but soft and
the stream rocks likewise - perhaps just need sharpening

The walls were probably quite soft anyway... limestone is a bit like that and the texture isn't cracks. I guess it's some kind of weathering process. The lighting was also quite diffused (cloudy weather).

Having said that I didn't put a huge amount of effort into sharpening. I masked out the edges of the stream rocks because of halos and didn't come back for a second, more subtle sharpening.

Even though you worked hard on the hole, it still is pretty dark -
Velvia was probably a wrong choice here

It's quite subtle and is meant to still be quite dark. If I get the time I might put up the "before" version later. Don't look for detail in the middle of the hole - it's just an extra "section" on the right.

You're correct about Velvia being a bad choice. I'm actually surprised I was able to get anything useful out of it at all. I do wish I'd used something else but that was what I had in the camera at the time. I can always go back and re-shoot.

Here's another view from a medium format slide that I scanned a few months ago. The river rocks look a bit sharper, actually a little too sharp for my liking.
http://www.bluemoon.net.nz/photo/printsdb/view.php?p=6

Thanks for commenting.

- Dave