Tom,
I bought a 28~200 (Re-badged Tamron) when they first came out. Had a,
rarely accepted, wedding shoot coming up.
I ran some quick tests and found it produced some pretty poor images,
especially at 200mm. Probably unfair, but I compared it to those shot
at 200mm with my A 70~210 f/4.
Sold it the next day to someone who, after learning why I was selling
it, said it was good enough for him. He'd been using an 80~200
Promaster.

Jack