On Dec 16, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Pål Jensen wrote:

I like his writing even better than his photography. Considering how much I like his photography that says a lot! In my opinion he was the best writer on outdoor photography ever and his death was a great tragic loss for outdoor photographers everywhere.

Galen was a good friend of mine. He really didn't think of himself as much of a writer, more as a visual artist whose subject was the grandeur of mountains. He really got into photography and later into writing pretty much by accident. Before that he was an auto mechanic with a passion for mountain climbing! The world of photography lost much with is passing. Those on the list who read Amateur Photographer may have seen the appreciation I wrote about Galen.

Bob