Gang,

Does anyone have a recommendation for lenses that can be stacked to give
approximately 4x ?

John Shaw warns in his book "closeups in nature" that not all combinations stack
well together, and between the lines I read that very few actually do.

I use an FA50/1.4 lens reversed in front of an A*200/4 macro. This combination
gives 4x magnification, but has some problems with low contrast and serious
problems at small apertures (refraction?).

When I look at photos taken at 4x by other photographers, I realise that there
are better optics around for the purpose.

I'd be interested to know if you have some experiences with moderate wide-angles
reversed on a bellows as well.

Cheers,
Jostein