On Dec 24, 2005, at 7:34 PM, David Oswald wrote:

I'm with Paul and Shel. I *always* use a lens hood. The only exception is when it interferes with something (like the built in flash, possibly ... if I ever used it, that is).

I agree that always using a hood is a good practice. However, I find it difficult to live by that mantra. They take up so much space in camera bags. That's probably the biggest problem for me when I'm using the camera on the go. ...

As you can see from the photo I posted, my hoods add about an inch to the length of each lens. To put lens caps on, I remove the hoods and use generic clip-on caps that I like.

I don't normally have the lenses capped when in my working bag. I store the lenses in my working bag hood down, in a padded cell or lens pouch. Easy to get at and use ... just pull the lens off the camera and slide it into its slot, pull a rear cap from the lens I want to use and fit it to the camera, and fit the free rear cap.

Godfrey